Song Weaver <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 05:22:02 -0400
At 6:11 PM -0400 9/17/97, Jacob Haller wrote:
>A guy subscribed to one of our mailing lists via a web interface.
>
>He had an automatic little vacation program set up on his account.
>
>The message telling him that he was subscribed was sent to him.  An
>autoreply was generated.
>[...]
>The first symptom noticed at our end was that the LISTSERV postmasters
>received 400-odd bounce messages from his account.  The second was that he
>called us up and got kinda irate.

You know-- that -does- take a lot of nerve, considering it was his
autoreply which created the problem in the first place.

>It took us a while to figure out what had happened, so I'm passing this
>along in case any of you find yourselves in a similar situation.

I really -hate- that sort of autoreply nonsense.  It's caused me lots of
headaches in the past.

--Julie

--
[log in to unmask]       http://drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu/~julie/

"Opus told me that his six-year pickled-herring habit ended after reading
the Compassionate Cook. He discovered the rutabaga frappe recipe and has
been practicing it ever since." --Berke Breathed