Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 18:52:10 -0700
On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 17:23:45 -0600, Scott Fendley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>However, I was wanting to know if there is
>something that LSOFT will push down to their smtp servers that will help
>filter some of this out before it gets processed by Listserv.

No.   LSMTP's mission in life is rapid delivery of email.  Functions like
anti-virus inspection take lots of time and are not handled by LSMTP.  In fact
LSMTP has no content examination/filtering of any kind.

>Or is it
>more recommended that if we must filter on a subject line for a short time
>that we go to the console of the listserv machine and hand edit a filter to
>stop this virus from even getting there?

LISTSERV offers only one kind of content filtering that could be applied to
analysis of a Subject: line (which is a very poor way to do this kind of virus
filtering anywayas the Subject: line mutates rapidly) and that is the
POST_FILTER List Exit as described in Sect 5.2.3 of the Developers Guide Manual.
This is a very advanced feature and requires programming skills and the
cooperation of the Server Admin to install.