"Paul M. Karagianis" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 13 Sep 1994 15:49:47 EDT
On Tue, 13 Sep 1994 21:34:16 +0200 Eric Thomas said:
>From what I  understood, SJU's name server occasionally  goes berserk and
>issues  authoritative  statements  about   domains  it  normally  has  no
>authority to speak for, saying the host does not exist. This results in a
>permanent "no  such host" failure  which causes SMTP to  bounce perfectly
>valid mail and report it as a permanent (550) error, which in turn causes
>users to be  deleted from lists. If the incorrect  information comes from
>SJU's  name  server, that's  where  the  finger  will point  when  people
>complain about lost mail. If you can't fix the name server, the next best
>thing is not to use it.
>
>  Eric

I believe this is a mis-directed reply to a HYPOTHETICAL question I posed.
This has absolutely never happened and it won't because I backed out the
LSV$DNT I put in back on the 2nd.  I have observed 2 instances of the DNS
we use getting into this state for 10 or 15 minutes before they can shut
it down or fix it.  This over the last couple of years, both before we
supported auto-delete.  The question was that IF it happened again during
the window after a sucessful delivery to a list if it could result in
all the smtp users on the target list getting wiped out at one shot.