Joan Korenman <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 13 Nov 1995 08:14:04 -0500
        When Pete Weiss received a reply from the IAF postmaster, the
postmaster's sig file informed us of a possible reason for JSmith's
activities that may be different from what we've been assuming:

> Dwight Merriman                                     Internet Address Finder
> [log in to unmask]                                        http://www.iaf.net

If JSmith works for Internet Address Finder (IAF.NET), is it possible that
he's gathering all the addresses of our lists' subscribers to add to the
IAF database?  That would be consistent not only with the domain name
but also with JSmith's silence (i.e., no spams, at least not yet).

        If that's Smith's intention, I may have overreacted.  I decided
that I didn't want Smith OR any of his friends at IAF.NET on my list, so I
added IAF.NET to my list's filter.  I'd have set IAF.NET to REVIEW, but you
can't do that selectively except for current subscribers.  Perhaps I should
follow the model suggested recently and set ALL new subscribers to REVIEW.
Hmmm....

        Joan Korenman

*       Joan Korenman                 Internet: [log in to unmask]           *
*       U. of Md. Baltimore County                    or                    *
*       Baltimore, MD 21228-5398                [log in to unmask]     *
*    The only person to have everything done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe  *