Sat, 24 Feb 2001 13:07:55 -0600
> Thanks. I set up my lists with Confirm=Yes after people on this list
> suggested it. I thought that this setting would stop this sort of
> nonsense. I checked through my lists and couldn't find anyone with
> those addresses.

Anyone can get an email through to the generic listowner's address..
whether subscribed or not.

Spam is really just part of dealing with the internet.. either delete them or
report them .. the later being a lot like work since it needs to be done
carefully and to the right people.

The problem in spams sent to the ListName-Request@ address is that
even to listowners who don't know better, it often looks all to the world
like it's coming via an open relay from the list host :(((  which garners lots
of spam report complaints.. and sometimes even the host being placed in a
filter... which then affects subscribers big time because they won't get
posts from that host.  I'm pretty sure that has happend to maelstrom more
than once.

  ...Cleo  [log in to unmask]