Sat, 28 Jun 1997 16:15:49 +1000
Hello Eric,

> >Do I just  download the latest 1.8c files from  LSOFT and "make upgrade"
> >or... do I need 1.8d build???
>
> You need a build  dated March 26 or later. Take a look  on our FTP server
> and see if there is one for your system, if not I can make one.

The common.tgz file is dated Apr 1 but the 1.8c build for IRIX 5.3 is
dated Jan 21 only...  This is to my knowledge the build that I have
installed.

Should I be looking in the beta-1.8d directory?  I did check but no IRIX
binary is in there.

I am currently running LISTSERV on IRIX 6.2.

> >Would the 1.8c license accept/recognise this feature?
>
> This particular feature will work with a 1.8c LAK.

Elena as provided me with the 1.8d LAK.  Very nice of her too :)  I guess
with this LAK other neat functions will be available to me?  Is there a
place I can read what those "hidden" new features are? :)  I guess I
would need the beta 1.8d build for some of those features to work right?
If that is the case is the beta stable enough to run in a production server?

> >I think that other commands could  also bennefit form this sort of batch
> >process... do you support other commands as well (for example SCAN?)
>
> Why  would  you want  to  do  a bulk  operation  with  such a  fuzzy  and
> interactive command  as SCAN? I just  don't picture someone doing  a bulk
> "SCAN and  forget" in the same  way that you  submit a bulk ADD  and just
> check that the right number of entries were added.

Yes I guess that you are right and maybe SCAN is not the best example.
But still, when I am going through the errors alot of the reports specify
addresses that do not match exactly the subcribers address as subscribed
to the list.  Therefore I need to scan the list (sometimes tuite a few
time) to get the right address.

As such, if I want to do multiple SCANs I could use:

SCAN listname DD=X
//X DD *
addresses
/*

Rather than going one by one...

SCAN listname address
SCAN listname address
SCAN listname address
SCAN listname address
SCAN listname address
etc

I guess that alternativelly I could use DELETE TEST option with * in the
addresses...

Maybe I am misunderstanding the use of DD.  But any sort of language format
(such as DD) that allows us to do multiple calls to a function (such as
SCAN or whatever) would/could be useful I think.

Regards,

David