Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 13:09:51 -0500
At 07:20 PM 3/21/97 -0600, George Blake wrote:
>I'm getting some mail from people who are responding to the mailing list
>and a person like this:
>
>        TO:   Persons Name
>        CC:   Mailing List
>
>This gives people mail in the mail box that looks like it is addressed to
>"Persons Name" instead of to the list. Peoples filtering programs then do
>not move the message to a folder.
>I think mail should be addressed like this:
>
>        TO:   Mailing List
>        CC:    Persons Name
>
>What is the proper way to do this. What's the Netiquet?

I think either is proper; it depends who the "primary audience" is supposed
to be.  Some lists rewrite the TO: header, sometimes putting the previous
ones in Comments: or X- fields; for those lists you can always filter on "To:".

In practice, the variation probably occurs when different mail clients do
different shuffling with a "group reply" command.

You might want to filter on "To:" *or* "Cc:" -- even that isn't good
enough, as a list may occasionally be Bcc'd.  Some lists use "Sender:" or
"Resent-Sender:" or "Resent-From:" which will be more reliable; you kind
of need to look at what the list puts out, especially if the SMTP "MAIL FROM"
isn't available to you (either in "From " (no colon) or "Return-Path:"),
which is probably the most predictable if you have that available.

Cheers,
Stan