Debbie Douglass <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 27 Feb 1997 10:10:09 EST
On February 27, on [log in to unmask], Peter M. Weiss said:
 >>It has been my limited (but recent) experience that sending
 >>and receiving mail to other sites and claiming that everything
 >>is fine is NOT proof positive that it is.  Why?  because mailer
 >>agents (both sender AND receiver) do things behind your back.
 >>
 >>There was a recent thread on LSTOWN-L about quoted ASCII that
 >>demonstrated just this.

I apologize if my message seemed snippy. I was frustrated because
of my error and because a documented solution failed to work.

I can totally turn off all MIME support in my mail program and I
did so before sending the list back to the LISTSERV.

I just sent the list again to the LISTSERV using the UNIX (SunOS
4.1.3) command line 'mail' program (which is just about the most
vanilla mail program with absolutely no MIME support that I know
of) and had the exact same results - one 'Invalid RFC822 address
- 2AAACAA6zAAABB. Recipient ignored.'  message for each list
member.

I've been working with sendmail and UNIX mail programs as a
system administrator and as a user for 7 years now and I've
worked hard to try to understand the mechanisms of this process.
Perhaps there is something in LISTSERV that word wraps incoming
command messages. I know that I've had occasional problems executing
commands through email for really long email addresses with my
password at the end of the line.

Perhaps one of the LISTSERV managers out there could test putting
back a list (using email) with a dummy list with a few dummy
subscribers with various subscription options set.

-Debbie Douglass

[log in to unmask]    : May your sword always be within
Systems Administrator               : reach and may your Foe's skill
GTE Government Systems, Needham, MA : and luck be less than your own.