Vickie Banks <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 3 Apr 1996 18:42:37 -0500
We are also still having a huge problem with the From:/Resent:  lines that
David complains about below.  On some of our lists, we want exactly what
David does:  to send the edited mail out with the original sender's
address on the From: line, and the editor's address on the Resent: line.

We want this because, if we don't have it our Usenet News feed says that
all the messages are from the Moderator, and our Hypermail archive on the
WWW says the same thing.  Also our volume is high, and many of our readers
decide what to read based on who wrote it.  If the From: line isn't the
original writer, they can't do this.

As far as I've been able to establish, the only program that allows this
is Ricemail on an IBM.  Everyone says that, of course, there must be lots
of others, but we can't find any.  I've asked about this here in the past,
as it would save us a large amount of time and money, if we could use
almost anything else (our university charges a lot for IBM Ricemail).

Last year, someone suggested MH.  But I find the 1000 page manual
far beyond me, even though I tried.

I hear that maybe Eudora for the MAC will do this with an add-on, but I
don't have a MAC.

Bounce doesn't work on most systems, even though it often generates the
correct header lines, because in general you aren't allowed to edit the
bounced message before you send it, and our lists edit every message in
some way.

If anyone knows a workable UNIX or IBM-Windows compatible offline program
that lets you generate resent lines on your forwarded mail, or that
generates them on bounced mail while still letting you edit the bounced
mail (and doesn't require an engineering degree and advanced C programming
to set up and use) we'd appreciate the information a lot.

I've looked for an add-on to Eudora, but couldn't find it for IBM
Windows.  I've also looked for something for Pine, because it
almost does it (but not quite).  Couldn't find that either.

Thanks for further insights from me and others moving to the UNIX
environment.  I think compatibility between Listserv and offline
mail programs is going to be a growing concern for owners, and
would appreciate any news you have about developments in this area.

Vickie Banks
H-NET Technical Assistance

David Avery <[log in to unmask]> originally wrote:
>I have two lists running under AIX listserv 1.8b and on both
>Sender= Editor with a single editor.  But on one the postings sent
>to subscribers show a From: of the original poster, on the other
>they show the editor's mail address and the address of the original
>poster is lost.   Options between the two lists differ in trivial
>ways, but I don't see anything which should be controlling thus
>behavior.   The two editors use different mail programs to forward
>postings to the list.
>
>Is the difference in behavior caused by a setup option I'm
>overlooking, or the editor's mailers?  I'm trying to have the posting
>reflect the original poster's address.

dienes bruce p a <[log in to unmask]> replied:

David,

The problem is with the different mailers.  The mail has to be "bounced"
or "resent", not forwarded.  However, not all mailers comply with the
Internet standard Resent-From: fields.  For instance, Eudora will NOT
work for bouncing edited mail back to the list (although I believe
someone has written a patch for the Mac version...). Pine has to be
configured to allow the bounce option, etc...

Have them check the manuals for their mail software about how to "resend"
or "bounce" messages.  Tose options, if configured correctly, will retain
the original From: header.