Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 15 Sep 1997 14:52:50 -0400
>In my lists I have the reply in the header set to:
>*   Reply-to= List,Respect
>
>I thought that would automatically send all replies to the list.  Some people
>when they hit the reply key and it is a message that I have sent to the list,
>their reply only comes to me when, in fact,  they wanted it to go to the list.
>
>Is it my setup of the header or their mail programs?

It's a combination of your mailing list setup and the way you have
configured your email client.

* Reply-to= List,Respect

means that replies to most messages will go to the mailing list.  However,
if someone sends a message containing a Reply-To: field, that will override
the default, and replies to the message will go to (presumably) the sender.

This little-used feature allows for situations where a person, say, wants
to poll the members of a mailing list and post a summary of the responses
later; clearly, in most cases it wouldn't be appropriate for replies to the
original poll to be sent to the mailing list.

Here's the abbreviated header of the message you sent to LISTOWN-L:

>Date:         Mon, 15 Sep 1997 12:29:45 -0700
>Sender: "LISTSERV list owners' forum" <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Cindy Heavilin <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      reply to owner or list
>To: [log in to unmask]

And sure enough, the fifth line down contains the offending 'Reply-To:'.

-jwgh