Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 22:43:41 -0700
signature

The three or four line message at the bottom of a piece of email or a
Usenet article which identifies the sender. Large signatures (over five
lines) are generally frowned upon. See also: Electronic Mail, Usenet.

The above from RFC 1983, a glossary from 1996.  Note that it is an
"informational" RFC, not a "standard" RFC.

====================

The following from RFC 1855, another "informational" RFC.

- If you include a signature keep it short. Rule of thumb is no longer than
4 lines. Remember that many people pay for connectivity by the minute, and
the longer your message is, the more they pay.

===================

Finally, I don't understand the idea that some seem to have that sigs
shouldn't appear on lists.  On several of my lists they're required.  Well,
it isn't required that it be a "sig" (in the sense of how it is placed on
the list), but that the plain text name, address, email address, and so
forth be in the message somewhere.  If we wanted anonymity and bogus
addresses, we'd go use some X rated newsgroups.....

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA 208-383-0165
[log in to unmask]   http://www.84.com/  http://www.idaholibraries.org/