John Witherspoon <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 1 May 1996 14:23:46 EDT
A large number of people on the SHOtimes-l list were added by the owners
when the list was moved from another server.  SHOtimes-l is a private
list, meaning only subscribers can post.  A number of people whose
addresses have changed to a slightly different but e-mail-functionally
equivalent address (as in old: [log in to unmask] to new: [log in to unmask])
have been unable to post because the server sees a close, but not exactly
the same address to one of its known subscribers.  We have been
straightening these subscribers out on a case-by-case basis.

My question: since almost all the subscribers were added to the list the
same day, are the list owners going to get swamped with cries for help
from subscribers who are unable to renew subscriptions when the time comes
because of slight address changes?  Or does Listserv only look for
ths so-called "magic cookie" and renew for subscribers whose cookies
are returned?

Thanks.

-- John Witherspoon