Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 12 Apr 1997 22:29:41 -0600
At 07:31 PM 4/12/97 -0700, Eric Paul-Hus wrote:
>Brian McClean, one of the organizer along with 14 other volunteers,
>suggested a souvenir T-Shirt ... So I tought to bother every other list
>owners to know if other lists hold such "real life" meeting and if
>L-Soft lends them any knid of help in oragnising those ?

Words-L has had ftf meetings and tshirts since 91.  We just do it
ourselves.  Never thought to even ask Eric for help on it.  Candidly, I
can't see as how it would be worthwhile to him, since the people on blues-l
aren't the ones who buy the software.  If it were a listowners group....or
a netgeeks meeting of some sort, maybe so.  But I can assure you that the
folks on my lists would be on them even if i were running some braindead
halfass freecode crappola.  Well, most would be.  Consumers of lists just
don't really care, I don't think.  After all, how many lists run
"alternative versions" on different packages?  Even in subjects where there
are multiple lists, I'll bet the difference is the owner's style, exact
definition of subject, mail volume, or other stuff rather than what
software it runs on.

>So any recommandation on T-Shirt companies, any offer to fork the cash
>for up front, either as a sponsor or as a donation is welcome ...

We do the same thing for other lists I run, including postcard, with the
infamous Carpe Post Cardum tshirts and sweatshirts.  They let members find
each other at postcard, stamp, and antique gatherings.  But a member just
does it.  You won't find that there are big variations from place to place,
or anything like that.  The person in charge of shirts just takes orders
and checks....with sometimes special arrangements being made for those from
foreign countries with problems transferring funds.....and then gives the
order to the local outfit wherever s/he has made arrangements, then mails
them out when done.  We've never done any on spec or for later sale.  If
someone misses out, they'll have another chance in another six or twelve
months.

If I were looking for a sponsor for shirts I'd deal with someone in the
SUBJECT matter of the list....such as a record company or whatever.  Of
course if they really are worth doing, they're worth paying for.  I wear a
Carpe Post Cardum or Words-L (one of the various annual editions....Carpe
shirts don't change except for color) almost every day of my life.

cyclops

Dan Lester
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus, 1534