Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:27:40 -0400
>At 11:10 AM -0400 10/16/00, Nathan Brindle wrote:
>>On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:53:49 -0400 Paul E. Prusakowski said:
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I am going to be putting my list on hold for about 2 weeks.
>>>
>>>I planned on sending a hold command.
>>>
>>>What I do NOT want to happen is have me come back and FREE list, and have a
>>>stockpile of posts automatically sent to the list.  Any suggestions on the
>>>most efficient way to prevent this from happening?  I considered changing
>>>the level of moderation on the list and having to approve all messages prior
>>>to posting when I return.
>>
>>That would be my suggestion.  Set "Send= Editor,Hold,Confirm" after you
>>HOLD the list, set your address as an Editor=, and then simply go through
>>the messages when you FREE the list on your return.
>>
>>Be sure you let your subscribers know about the downtime :)
>>
>>Nathan
>
>Wouldn't setting everyone to NOPOST do the same thing?

No.  Setting people to NOPOST would result in their messages being
rejected outright, whereas the above scheme results in their messages
getting forwarded to an editor who can then approve or delete the
messages as appropriate.

Setting people to REVIEW would have a similar effect to the one
described above.  On the other hand there might be people who are
already set to REVIEW and you'd have to be careful about their
subscriptions when you reverted everyone else's subscriptions back to
NOREVIEW when the mailing list became active again.  This is
basically the same thing that you referred to later:

>(And yes, you
>would definitely have to tell everyone or they would freak!) Of
>course, if you have some people set to nopost for some reason, you
>would need to get a list of them so you could set them back after you
>sent in the "SET LISTNAME POST FOR *@*" command.

Note also that it would result in a message being sent to everyone on
the mailing list saying that their options had been changed unless
you used the "QUIET SET" version of the command.

>Is there a reason
>why "Send= Editor,Hold,Confirm" would be better?

Basically the reasons alluded to above.  Also generally speaking
making a single change to the mailing list's configuration will be
more efficient than making a change to the settings for each
subscriber, particularly if the mailing list is very large.
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support
L-Soft international, Inc