Margaret King <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 08:24:06 -0400
Elizabeth Poole wrote:

> I'm trying to create my first listserv lists.  The server is active, I can
> create lists, I can subscribe people to them, but when subscribers send
> mail to the list name (TESTER-L, my that's original) it goes into a black
> hole.  The listserv.log file tracks the creates and the subscribes just
> fine, but nothing at all is written to the log when mail is sent to the
> list.

If you are using Sendmail you will have to set up aliases in your alias
file, to pipe mail for the list through the lsv_amin program.  There are
eight aliases to set up for each list.  I don't use the web interface to
create lists - I'm guessing perhaps you do, and perhaps you thought it
would do that for you automatically, and perhaps it doesn't?

> What should I be checking?  My thanks in advance.  Oh, and is there a
> cleaner way to shut the listserver down than locating its process id and
> kill -9ing the process?  I'm on AIX.  Thanks!

That depends on how well it is responding to email to the server.  You
can mail it a "stop" command, which needs a password.  But if you do
that and then realize you have a three-hour mail backlog and end up
killing -9ing it, it will probably stop again three hours later when
it finally processes your "stop" job.  :-(

Margaret King
Michigan State University