Melvin Klassen <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 20 Jun 1994 15:15:15 PDT
On Mon, 20 Jun 1994 18:00,
Stephen A. McFadden <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> I am not surprised by the fact that, during a "Cold War", the most powerful
> telescope ever built and put into space turned out to be "nearsighted", just
> because of a single wrong number, and a decision not to test it to save a
> million dollars on a billion dollar bird.  Just remember, that a Low Earth
> Orbit (LEO) telescope that points up, will later in that orbit point down,
> and the data is probably not encrypted on the downlink, and thus will be
> seen by some forces as a security risk.

Thanks, Stephen, for a wonderfully funny bit of satire!

I like the way you twist both the laws of physics and the details
of the foul-up in the manufacture of the Hubble Space Telescope,
ignore the Space Shuttle mission which fixed the HST,
and ignore the published "before" and "after" pictures taken by the HST,
in order to "prove" your conspiracy-theory!  :-)

Think about it: if the "image-collector" end of the Hubble points to earth,
then the communications-dish is pointing to outer-space, as opposed to "normal"
operation, where it looks "out" and transmits data "in" to the earth, then it
will broadcast "close-up" views of the earth to those UFOs in outer-space.

ROTFL!  :-) :-)

  ... 69 more lines of wonderful stuff excised by KLASSEN ...