"M. LEBLANC" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 4 Jan 1997 13:03:49 EST
"Peter M. Weiss" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>This was posted to the listed Usenet group and could effect
>your Netnews gateways (right, Maureen? ;-))

Oh yes ... *bigtime* Pete. ;-) (You patient soul you ... :-) )

quoting Jim McIntosh ([log in to unmask]):

:What does this mean to you? If you had your list set so that posts from
:the gateway were reviewed by you in an attempt to stop spams, then the way
:you did this will have to change slightly. Configure the list so that it
:is an edited list, and then list the subscribers as editors. For example,
:if your list is FOOBAR-L and your address is [log in to unmask] then you
:would set the list to:
:
:* Send=     Editor,Hold
:* Editor=   [log in to unmask],(FOOBAR-L)
:
:Putting a list's name in parenthesis means "all the subscribers of the
:list", so the editor statement above means that all subscribers can post
:but that posts from non-subscribers (eg, those coming through the gateway)
:are passed to the first editor (you) for approval before they are
:distributed.

This worked just fine.

I wondered as I made the change whether usenetters might now receive
the 'your message has been sent to the moderator' notification.
Sure enough, they did.

So I hauled out Nathan's manual and went looking for anything about
the mailtpl. Also did a couple of archive searches in lstown-l. Very
helpful.

First, I issued a GET HWY61-L FILELIST PW=xxxxxx, and added a
file descriptor to the filelist:
*listowners files (not public)
 HWY61-L MAILTPL OWN OWN . . . . . HWY61-L mailtpls

Then, I put the filelist back by making the first line of the filelist:
PUT HWY61-L FILELIST PW=xxxxxx

Listserv sent me back a notice that the filelist had been successfully
replaced.

Then I issued a GET DEFAULT MAILTPL so that I could edit the default
mailtpl and PUT it back to the HWY61-L Filelist.

In the default mailtpl, I found the section that sends out the message
I wanted to suppress:
>>> POST_EDITOR

On the line below this description, I inserted:
.QQ
on it's own line, so that listserv would (hopefully) now stop sending
out its 'your message has been submitted to the moderator' messages.

I PUT the default mailtpl by making the first line of the default mailtpl:
PUT HWY61-L MAILTPL PW=xxxxxx

Got a message back from listserv saying that the HWY61-L MAILTPL had
been successfully PUT.

So now, I'm just waiting to hear from anyone on usenet that they *haven't*
rec'd the 'your message has been submitted to tho moderator" messsage.

What I don't understand is this: Although Listserv was sending me
all this good news about my various successes, ;-) I am unable to
see an entry for the HWY61-L MAILTPL when I do an INDEX HWY61-L, or
when I do a GET HWY61-L FILELIST PW=xxxxxx (CTL.

What's the deal? Anybody know? Listserv hardly ever congratulates me
unless it means it, y'know? ;-)

Thanks everybody.

Maureen :-)