Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 21 Nov 1998 00:04:58 -0700
At 08:56 PM 11/20/98 +0100, Carolyn Schaffner wrote:
>Dan Lester said --
>
>But if you're not
>pressed for disk space, why bother?  With the price of disk dropping
>daily,
>
>**
>Well, we ran out of disk space yesterday and the list was held. There
>is not a whole lot of traffic, something like 20 messages on a good day
>(I estimate) and we're only about 4 months old. How much should I
>"buy"?

Well, I don't know what platform you're running it on, but:
If on NT or 9x, go buy another drive.  You can get many gigs for a few
hundred bucks.  Don't worry about it being a fast SCSI drive....it is just
being used for archives.   If you're sharing or buying space on VMS or
Unix, well go beg for some more space, or ante up to your ISP.  If your
list has a purpose to the organization that is hosting it, that will be
forthcoming.  If it is strictly a recreational list, be prepared to put up
some money.  After all, we can't expect employers, government or private,
to support our private hobbies and interests.  Some of us ARE lucky enough
to have such employers....it makes up for the low pay I guess.  Well, sort of.

Finally, think about whether you really NEED the archives.  I don't know
about your list topic, but there are an awful lot of lists that are on
topics where what was said a couple years ago is obsolete and doesn't need
to be preserved.  If you're into saving it for some wonderful historical
reason, download to a zip drive or similar.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA 208-383-0165
[log in to unmask]   http://www.84.com/  http://www.idaholibraries.org/