Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 20:18:00 +0100
As you know a  number of the anniversary shirts got lost  in the mail and
had to be resent. Some people got  it the second time, others have yet to
receive theirs. Judging  from the inquiries *I* got, part  of the problem
is that  some people would just  drop me a  note and say "Hey,  I haven't
received my shirt!", and it would be up to me to figure out what needs to
be mailed  where (and before  you yell  at me, I'm  not even in  the same
country as  the shirts  and I've  just been passing  the notes  around to
people who are and can actually mail  you one :-) ). But then some people
sent all the necessary info and still didn't get their shirt. There seems
to be a pattern where people  who complained to SALES (or SUPPORT) mostly
did not get their shirt, and I  can see how this could have happened. The
people who mail the shirts aren't  in the sales department, and the first
time someone complained  they probably got half a  dozen forwarded copies
of the message. I  don't think it would have taken me  long to ask people
to please  forward only ONE  copy of the  shirt messages, at  which point
there is  a risk that everyone  assumes someone else will  have forwarded
it.

At any  rate, to clear up  this mess once and  for all, I have  created a
dedicated mailbox  for reporting lost shirts:  [log in to unmask] You
should write to [log in to unmask] if:

1. You  haven't received your  shirt yet. Do NOT  write to say  that your
   shirt  has arrived  and  you  don't understand  why  everyone else  is
   complaining :-)  DO write to  report a  missing shirt you  had already
   reported through other channels (unless it has arrived). DO NOT REPORT
   LOST SHIRTS ON LSTOWN-L!

2. You  ordered your shirt  before NOVEMBER  28, 1996. We  process orders
   from the web page  every 2 weeks, and have processed  all orders up to
   that date. We decided not to make a delivery on December 15 because we
   figured that the shirt loss rate  was already bad enough when the USPS
   wasn't busy delivering Christmas cards  that are so personal that they
   aren't even SIGNED (sorry if  this offends anyone, but these unsigned,
   fully reusable  cards are something  I'll just never  understand about
   the US).  Anyway, the shirts that  should have shipped by  December 15
   will be shipped this week or next week, as time permits.

3. If you  live in Stockholm and wanted a  10th anniversary shirt, please
   drop me a  note instead as I  have 18kg of these  that, with long-term
   thinking and  everything, nobody wants  to take  now, and in  4 months
   when it's hot again and all the shirts are gone they will all want one
   :-) Note that I only have anniversary  shirts, it was for the party. I
   also had sweat shirts, but these lasted about 10ms.

All reports should have a clear indication  of the kind of shirt you want
(size, colour, design)  and where it should  be mailed to. A  copy of the
original  order form  is preferred.  We will  then mail  you a  new shirt
together with  the next regular batch  (once every 2 weeks),  and it will
take however long these things take via USPS. If you keep not getting the
shirt,  we'll  have  to  assume  that your  mailman  is  stealing  it  or
something. A few months  ago we sent a big PC server  via a major private
carrier, and they  lost it. They refunded  us, we bought a  new one, same
model and  everything, sent it  again, and they  lost it AGAIN.  At which
point they added 2+2 and  got their security department involved, because
it's not  like the place was  hard to find on  the map or the  box was so
small that it fell through a crack in the truck.

  Eric