Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 08:25:57 -0500
>Hello again. I want to prevent unsubscription because this list is a
>institutional list of our university: all the people whit a email address
>is subscribe automatically to this list. In this way, we can send messages
>to all people about problems whith email server, backups, ...
>
>Regards,

What I've done in the past in this situation is set Notify= Yes; then
you're notified if anyone unsubscribes and you can add them back and
perhaps send them a note asking why they unsubbed.

A seperate issue is subscribers setting themselves to NOMAIL.  The
only way around this one is to periodically issue a "Q listname WITH
NOMAIL FOR *@*" and take action similar to that described above.

I'll note that even if you keep them from unsubscribing you can't
make them read the mailings.  I recall at a previous job setting up a
filter to transfer mail sent to a particular mailing list directly to
the trash since the mailing list was never used for anything relevent
to me and yet I was required to subscribe to it.

Another note: If you remove the language about how to unsubscribe
from the $SIGNUP mail template many people won't realize that
unsubscribing is even an option.
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support
L-Soft international, Inc