Rich Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 11:29:20 PST
On Nov 14,  1:55am, Stan Ryckman wrote:

} The advantage of the peering is lost on me as well... when I signed up,
} the instructions gave the .SE address.  So here I am in the United States,
} and most of the posts (I think) come from the U.S., but my subscription
} goes through Sweden.
}
} Maybe I'm missing something though.

In the early days of the internet,  peering made much more sense that it
does today.  Until fairly recently,  there was something like one 56kb
(or mabe a T-1) channel from north america to europe,  and similarly
from NA to Japan & asia.  And lets not talk about Australia.  With that
type of connectivity. it made a lot of sense for the US & Europe to send
one copy of a post that would be exploded at the far end.

And Stan, I made the same error as you did, and at Nathan's suggestion,
unsubscribed from the .SE node & subscribed to the us node.

--
Rich Greenberg    Work:  PM0RMG atsign WSPVM1.worldspan.com   +1 770-563-6656
N6LRT   Marietta, GA, USA   Play: richgr atsign netcom.com    +1 770-321-6507