Betty Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 16:56:29 -0600
Hiya,

>Russ Hunt had written:
>> I sure resonate with this:
>[...Outlook...]
>> The _problem_ is the people writing that damn software.

and Michael S. Johnson <[log in to unmask]> responded:
>Have you considered writing to [log in to unmask] with your complaints?
>Perhaps if you organize enough public support for changing that default
>behavior, Microsoft will listen.

That's a great idea!  and I think we should organize and start giving them
more feedback, given that they appear to have dominated the point and click
software/operating system market.  On my discussion lists I have developed
consensus on quoting standards and don't have much problem with it as I
have newbies automatically set to review, and nip any quoting problems that
arise with newbies in the bud.
The problems I encounter are most frequently
Outlook Expresses defaulting to html, etc
Outlook/Exchange defaulting to quoting the entire post you're replying to
and when one attempts to quote properly it indents the text you're
inserting and makes it Blue!  Sheesh.  what a default.  It doesn't even
have an option for marking the lines of the post it's automatically quoting
with the standard > character.  I currently have to turn off their defaults
and insert the > for quotes manually when I'm using Outlook for e-mail.
It's pretty evident that whomever's making the decisions didn't have a clue
about existing quoting conventions when they made those decisions.

I think we as listowners should definitely get *real* squeaky as the
defaults for common software IMO definitely influence how people use the
net.

Out for now,
Betty