Wed, 18 May 1994 14:31:56 -0700
At  4:59 PM 5/18/94 -0500, Joan Korenman wrote:
>        Today, someone posted on my list the message about metering Internet
>usage that has been making the rounds lately.  It begins this way:
>
>>>A very bad storm is brooding on the horizon.
>>>
>>>In the future, you might have to pay a charge for every E-mail
>>>[. . . .]

Here's a note I sent to a list to which I subscribe after somebody did
something similar there:

>At  4:38 PM 5/16/94 -0500, Xxxx Xxxxxxxx wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>I thought that some of you may be interested in the following usenet
>>article which I happened across.  I realize that it isn't really
>>relative to the subject matter of this wonder group, by is could have
>>drastic effects nonetheless.
>
>Well, the message (and the threat) is real, and I, too, hope that people
>will act on it, BUT...
>
>I rather dislike posting messages such as these to lists. It comes
>dangerously close to being chain mail, and is definately unsolicited
>net.proselytizing, even if the cause is one that is of universal concern to
>the members of the list. In cases such as this, I prefer contacting people
>I personally know--more likely to be effective--and just including a
>summary with an offer of sending complete information upon request--less
>mail traffic and less annoying.
>
>So, I applaud the sentiments, but would ask all to consider other methods
>of acheiving their desired goals rather than sending many megabytes of
>duplicate mail all over the place.
>
>>- Xxxx
>
>b&
>
>PS Email me if you need a copy of the original letter regarding pricing of
>Internet traffic. b&

It *is* a real threat, and we should all be concerned. But I still don't
want to get a dozen copies of the original note (I've already gotten four,
I think, and the day is young, so to speak) with everybody's editorials
tacked on top, let alone think of the load this is putting on the 'net. The
original is 10 Kbytes. That's 30 Mbytes of network traffic from just your
list, alone. This one could be almost as bad as the postcards to the dying
boy one.

>        Joan Korenman, WMST-L Listowner   KORENMAN@UMBC
>        Univ. of MD. Baltimore County     [log in to unmask]
>        Baltimore, Maryland 21228-5398

b&

PS I think my mother, Nancy Goren, is a regular contributor to your list....b&

--
[log in to unmask], Arizona State University School of Music
 net.proselytizing (write for info): Protect your privacy; oppose