Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 12 Oct 1996 20:04:46 GMT
On Sat, 12 Oct 1996 13:12:32 -0700, Eric Paul-Hus
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>So I'll go out on a limb and ask LISTSERV experts, can Sendmail error
>fmt be or is it supported on later VM releases ?

Eric or someone else with detailed knowledge would have to confirm this,
but since LISTSERV running on a VM host will very likely have to process
an error message returned from a unix/sendmail site it very likely
understands as much about sendmail error msgs as LISTSERV running on a
unix host, in other words there is no difference operationally for
different plaforms.

> is there a way to connect to AOL.COM via a VM machine ?

No.

>And if not, is there a way to ask their mail manager to configure
>something so the errors are sent in accordance to Lmail (or other
>LISTSERV 1.8b supported error scheme) ?

AOL monitors this group and posts progress reports here occasionally.
They are in the process of modifying their proprietary email system so it
will issue conforming error msgs that LISTSERV can process automatically.
IT has taken 5 months so far and might be done by December.

>Or maybe AOL.COM has stock in commercial version of majordomo ;-) ?

Actually, LISTSERV.AOL.COM is running LISTSER(tm) software and is
presently hosting over 250 lists, with thousands of msgs processed daily.
While not as large as the Lsoft or CNet sites LISTSERV.AOL.COM is within
the Top 10 sites in the world.  See statistics at  www.lsoft.com
You can guess they have a vested interest of their own in making their
own error msgs conform to the proper format for automatic error handling.
 Ben Parker ............ (Oak Park IL) .......... [log in to unmask]