Kevin Parris <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 12:34:00 -0500
Well, I didn't think it would be so bad to have the information duplicated, so long as the MAINTENANCE EFFORT on that information wasn't duplicated - you'd only have to continue to update the database, and write the query/scripting/whatever to stuff the extracts into LISTSERV and it would take care of the rest.  When the application calls for it, I don't mind making copies of information so long as I don't have to do extra work to keep up with them.

This kind of duplication happens a lot, whether we like it or not.... for example, in a college setting, one has the official enrollment records, and separate mailing lists for classes to which the students are subscribed.

But anyway, it was just an idea for something that might accomplish what you were asking about, I never claimed to have the most brilliant or elegant solution.

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/01/01 10:44AM >>>
> If you don't want to teach the club members how to subscribe themselves
> to the various lists, perhaps you could query/extract the database items
> relevant to whatever list you're dealing with, and generate a batch of
> "quiet add useraddress *" commands to send to LISTSERV.  But you may have
> add a field to the database to mark those members who complain about this
> - they may not all wish to be on email lists, so you have to have a way to
> note that and exclude them in your query.

I think you missed the point.  The "point" is to avoid a duplication of
information (ie. the email address and name in multiple locations).  The
database currently contains some 800+/- names and is maintained by the club
secretary (who happens to be my wife).

What I was hoping for was a feature of Listserv (or another program if
Listserv can't do it, but I *much* prefer Listserv) which does not keep the
subscribers in a .list file at all, but instead will *automatically* pull
the addresses from a query or table in Access.

Chris Barnes                              AOL IM:  CNBarnes
[log in to unmask]                      ICQ:     3581645