Listserv Admin <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 20:23:37 -0500
On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Paul Russell wrote:

> Do other Listserv sites have a need to do the sorts of things that I've
> been doing? If so, what kind of tools are you using, and where did you
> get them? If they're "homegrown", are you willing to share them?

   I migrated all of our VM lists to unix (solaris) in Oct.  I've got
a perl script I used to create all of the "/etc/aliases" for sendmail
that you can have if you like.  That was my first step. I have another
perl script that created all of the directories for lists that had
notebooks on VM.  I also have a C script (previously posted to lstsrv-l)
called fandr.c that permitted me to make global changes to certain
list headers for keywords for all lists.  I've got a distribute job
with a notice to all list owners of the migration you can have to
modify if you like.  It was a big job as I recall, and taking the advice
of someone else who posted to lstsrv-l (can't remember the person's
name who said it, but it was good advice), don't do all lists at
the same time!  Finally, I've got a rexx program that will do all
of the ftp'ing of list files for you.  Drop a note with what you
might want.

> pdr (even more clueless in unix than i am in vm)

  Well, one thing I noticed was that Listserv almost runs itself on
unix when compared to everything you have to do on VM.  Might be
my bias as I learned to run it on unix first and on VM later.

--Trish
Trish Forrest
Listserv Postmaster
Queen's University