Roger Burns <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 2 Feb 1995 20:18:37 -0500
> I'm a manager of a mailing list.  Someone who has INDEX set tried to ask for
> messages and got back a reply saying CPU limit exceeded, or something like
> that.  Is there anything that can be done to raise that?  Thanks.

It's really odd that a mere index retrieval job would bump up against a
CPU limit.  Such limits can only be altered by the Listserv manager.

I suggest two things.  (1) If the subscriber messed up on the job they
sent in (i.e. by mis-typing the message interval to be retrieved), they
may have mis-requested an overly large number of messages, and thus have
triggered the CPU limit.  Have you checked out that possibility?

(2) If in fact a daily index *is* bumping up against the CPU limit, then
you should press your Listserv manager about raising the limit.  Although
they may be generally reluctant to do so, the fact that a daily index is
being undermined would seem to strongly indicate that the current CPU
limit is unduly restraining the normal, expected use of the Listserv.

-- Roger Burns    [log in to unmask]