"Wayne S. Mery" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 18:03:19 -0400
(encouraging response from American University on  bit.admin  )

In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] says...

>Gateway status:
>
>As best I can determine (based on my mailing list), mail is flowing from
>usenet to the mailing list.  But it is not working in the reverse
>direction - mail from the mailing lists is not getting through the
>gateway to usenet.  This started on Tuesday 4/21.

This seems to be true, all right.

>On Saturday 4/25 I sent the above info to AU.  Peter at AU forwarded
>my message to the Unix guys who maintain some aspect of the machines
>or gateway (Peter is no longer involved).

This isn't quite so. Peter is still our main Unix guy, and still has
responsibility
for the usenet and listserv processes that run in a Unix environment.
The actual gateway runs on VM, however, and Peter was (mistakenly,
I believe) under the impression that the problem we're currently
experiencing was with the VM-resident gateway. I believe the real
problem is on our Unix-resident news server. I hope to have it fixed
by tomorrow.

>I sent a followup message to these two early this week.  They have not
>contacted me nor have they posted any followup information to bit.admin.

Please forgive our lack of responsiveness.  The last few weeks have
been rough for many of us, with deaths in families, illnesses, major
changes in computing systems, and so on, and frankly the usenet-listserv
gateway, being at best tangential to our institutional mission, is a very
low priority item.

>Now, almost one week later, it appears it wont be fixed, even though
>it's probably very simple to fix.

It will be fixed.

>To state the obvious, regardless of the situation we should all be
>polite in our dealings with AU.  Whomever we contact is probably not
>a decision maker.  We should be glad they supported us thus far,
>even if the lack of notice and the procedure for eliminating their
>gateway service has been dismal.

I don't know where this rumor that we were eliminating our gateway
service came from. We will indeed have to drop it or replace it
with something else eventually, but we have no intention of
discontinuing it immediately. Because it runs on VM, and because
we will be de-installing VM, we will have to stop doing what we're
doing now, but that is some time off. We'll be running VM and
the gateway at least till the end of 1998--unless, of course, someone
out there wants to take it on before then.

--
Herschel Browne    [log in to unmask]          You never know what is
Director, Network Software                                    enough unless y