"Fletes, Raul" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 12:55:45 -0600
Douglas,

Thanks for the assistance.  It's making more sense now the
differences between LISTSERV and NEWSGROUPS.

Yes I don't two systems, I'm using the web link.  I like the
idea of using a daily notebook.  I'll make the change.

Raul.

-----Original Message-----
From: Winship [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2001 12:49 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Delete individual postings

On reflection, perhaps you don't have two differnt systems, LISTSERV
and a echoing/mirroring 'newsgroup.'  Perhaps you see the LISTSERV
archives, via a web link, as the only way to read LISTSERV material.

If that is the case, set your notebook to daily, which will make it
easy to delete, every two, three, four or whatever days postings.
Just put that log back empty.

I still don't understand, though, why you would want to tamper with
archives.  The archives are the history of the list, warts and all, and if
you go messing with it, just because you don't like something, you've no
history, in truth, no archives.  I've eleven years of archives for my
eldest list and I refuse to edit out *my* highly embarrassing items, let
alone anyone elses.

Anyway, if you are talking about reading a LISTSERV list via the web
access to the LISTSERV list archives, there is no automatic expiration
date, such as you have on usenet style newsgroups. And, well, LISTSERV
and other such programs are about active distribution, not passive
reading.

Douglas