Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 23 Feb 1995 20:53:33 EST
> >it's changing the list header that new listowners are intimidated by.
>
> Certainly, I can make a GUI which facilitates creating, editing and mailing
> of the list header.  Is this something people really need from a GUI, or are
> most people quite happy doing this by hand? (see more comments later)

I think it's important, less for the GUI (although others care more about
that), than for the help that would presumably be built in to such a
product.  I don't mind editing the list header myself, but I can't
remember all the options because I just don't use them enough.

> >archive
> >maintenance (though this  varies by LISTSERV  platform and will change when
> >L-Soft releases the  new archive server code
>
> I'd prefer to stay away from that one.

I understand your reluctance, but I think it would be a highly useful
feature.  Perhaps in the second release.  :-)

> >I'm proposing *management* of error notices.  Listserv doesn't manage
> >them, it just sends them individually.  *I* manage them.  Would that I
> >could buy some software to do that for me.  Maybe somebody will develop
> >such software.
>
> Last time I asked, people were _very_ antsy about any program which goes
> snooping around a list admin's mailbox looking for error notices and taking
> action.  Also, with the variety of email packages, I have no idea how I
> would write something to read all the different formats.  finally, many list
> managers use pine, mailx or some other unix mail system, so InfoMagnet would
> have to work with them.   I don't know of any technical way to do this.

Well, the error notices could be sent to a different mailbox, but I agree
that all the various formats in use make this nearly impossible.  There
is a group within the IETF that's working on standardizing a MIME-based
format for such notices, so long term there may be some hope.  But then
LISTSERV could handle the notices, just as it does now for the ones in
L-Mail format.

> Would people prefer a menu-driven perl-based InfoMagnet LM? That way they
> could run it on their VM, VMS and Unix boxes at the command line...and
> they'd have perl source to muck with.

Not us.  Then we'd have to give accounts on the LISTSERV machine
to the list owners, whch we definitely do not do now.
Also, a lot of people would prefer the GUI.