"P. Divirgilio" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 6 Jun 1994 09:48:59 -0400

I have some insights into the mailer daemon as returned mail is not
the only problem. At times, I have typed addresses and then had the
mail returned with different addresses typed in. I became so
frustrated with this at one point that I kept hard copies as I was
typing to verify the occurrence. This is somewhat like the typos I
started to find in my mail. At one point I found copies of a whole
series of high tech messages which I sent or which had disappeared with
absolutely no typos as I thought that I had sent them. The problem
here seems to be that emacs keeps auto-saving and I sometimes send
messages which are stored as name~. Sometimes, I find that I am just
distracted.  I think that someone needs to explain what mailer daemon
is as a system since in our case it is a person. The other thing is
that they seem to be reading the mail as it goes out, as a change of
content will at times stop the rejections. I had another question
about stalking on the internet. I know about the vito case and the
stalking trial which was somewhat unresolved? Have there been any
other incidents reported where stalking and perhaps real damage
occurred as a result of internet stalkers? I saw an announcement about
falsified headers and a code of ethics at UNH for students. Are there
actually any laws governing internet crime at present?--Paul.
--

Dr. Paul S. di Virgilio,  University of Toronto  [log in to unmask]