Margaret King <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 5 May 2002 16:29:12 -0400
David Whalen wrote:

> When i email my listserv it says i'm not a subcriber
> my email has "david Whalen" next to the email address whe it is sent to my list serv but when
> i  send a command to my list serve it takes out my name and adds a particular subscriber's name and e-mail address
> i added that subcriber to the list today but his name doesnt show up
> please help

You probably tried to add him by using the SUBSCRIBE command.  You
should have used the ADD command.  When Listserv sees SUBSCRIBE it
assumes you are making a change to your own subscription, so it
changed its records to say that your "name" is this other guy's
email address.  Then you probably tried to remove someone else with
the UNSUBSCRIBE command, instead of the DELETE command, and got
yourself unsubscribed.  SUBSCRIBE and UNSUBSCRIBE are about your
own subscription.  ADD and DELETE are for you to change anybody's
subscription.  Listserv does not catch it when you use the wrong
one and you can end up with some funny-looking subscriptions.

You need to SUBSCRIBE yourself again (and be sure to specify your
name so you get that part fixed), ADD the other guy, and use REVIEW
to get a copy of your list and look it over to see if there are others
that are not as you intended.

Margaret King
Michigan State University