Judith Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 17:39:28 EDT
On Tue, 9 Apr 1996 21:03:32 GMT <[log in to unmask]> said:
>On one of my lists, a user tried to "unsub" but was told by Listserv that he
>is not subscribed.
>
>I double checked the subscription list, and nothing even remotely like his
>name,
>domain, address, machine name, or anything exists on the list. I know that
>there are 4 concealed users on the list.

It is definitely possible that he is not a subscriber.
  One, he might be subscribed to something with a similar name,
   e.g., someone once tried to unsub from my AUTOCAT list; it
   turned out he was subscribed to AUTOCAD

  Two, he might be subscribed to a redistribution service; e.g.,
   the organization has one subscription and then redistributes
   it to all organization people who are interested.  Often they
   give the redistribution list the same name as the parent list,
   to everyone's great confusion as the recipients of  [log in to unmask]
   think they are subscribed to [log in to unmask]
   We added our list name, AUTOCAT@*  to our filter list to
   prevent this from occurring.

 Three, he might be subscribed to several lists, might have intended
  to unsub from one of the others but happened to be thinking of yours
  for some reason (someone might have forwarded him a message from it)
  and tried to unsub from the wrong one.

    Judith Hopkins
       Listowner of Autocat     [log in to unmask]