Sun, 17 Nov 1996 18:39:19 -0600
Boy howdy, you got a big problem.   Cardinal rule:
unless you know exactly what you are doing, and you have a system
which can handle the long lines, and your typing is excellent and
you remain constantly focused so you never make a mistake DO NOT
TRY TO EDIT YOUR LIST AND "PUT" IT!!!!  Use the various listowner
commands to edit the list.  To revise the listing of someone's
"name" listing use
QUIET ADD listname <userid@node> Given-name Surname

LISTSERV saves a copy of the list when you get it so if you screw up
you can restore it.  However, if you put the list twice the backup
is probably the first fouled version. You could try, though, won't
make it any worse.

Do you have a copy of the list as it was?  If so what I would do is
wipe the list, send a  DELETE listname *@*

Then start adding everyone back.  If you are on VM you can do a
batch ADD.  If not, you may have to do an individual ADD for each
person, but you can stack a lot of ADDs in one command, do fifty
or so then take a break.  A pain, but you'll have your list back
And you can edit the names while you're at it.  ;-)

Good luck!  You really learned the hard way, but I'm sure you'll
remember it.  Change the header, sure, all the time, but keep your
hands off the list itself.  Use the various commands; that's
what they're for.

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L