Kevin Parris <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:31:24 -0500
No, unfortunately the nature of what we do, and who we serve, makes defining a service area impossible.  We're a government agency, those we serve are all over the state and use a variety of ISPs.  I'm the site maintainer, but not the owner of the lists - and the list owners are not always well-versed in these technical points - their primary responsibilities are often in very non-technology areas.  But I am giving that "default options=review" idea a lot of thought.

On 22 Jan 01, at 9:48, Kevin Parris wrote:

>   But I don't want to set the list "closed" since there may
> be some turnover and I'm hoping to move them toward end-user subscribe
> activity for that in the future.  But I'm currently avoiding "open,
> confirm" as a spammer defense tactic.

Do you expect all the subscribed email addresses to be from within
your organization? If that is the case, then you can use open,confirm
and use Service=Local and Local=yourdomain to prevent subscriptions
from outside your domain. You can also use Notify=Yes so that you are
notified when someone subscribes; if this is a rare occurrence, it
shouldn't be too difficult to check on the address and delete it if
it's a potential spammer. There is also Default-Options=REVIEW to
prevent new arrivals from posting till they've been approved.

Francoise