Debra Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 11:58:23 +10
Date:          Thu, 14 Jan 1999 06:43:33 +0900
From:          Dan Kanagy <[log in to unmask]>

Dan,

Dont know what system is being used for her mail but we have had similar
problems here.

One possibility is that she is on a sub-net that does not have access or is
not routed properly or does not use the correct port for mail. That's an
internal problem that their operations crew would have to look at.

She could also have her mail configuration wrong. We had people here who got
the settings for POP3Host and Mail host wrong.The effect would vary
from not being able to send or receive mail to not being able to do
either one or the other, dependant on which one was wrong the effect would
vary.

Another mail configuration problem is where people specify a different Default
Reply Address or a different outgoing FROM field address than their true e-mail
address... this will cause unknown problems including not being able to
subscribe, send or read mail as it changes the SMTP envelope. (listserv.log
should also show these types of errors if this is happening)

The empty messages sounds like another problem unrelated to  her not being able
to post messages to the list. The only time I have seen this happen is with
digests which exceed the allowed attachment limit specified usually by the mail
software being used. (for some reason it counts each entry as a separate
attachment)

Can she contact her System Administrator and find out if there is some sort of
aliasing set up, either on the mail server, listserv server or internally with
the mail program itself? (some mail programs do require their own set-up for
aliasing) and if there are support people there, she should contact them to
make sure her software is set up correctly both on her PC and (if any) on the
LAN end of things as well...

Debra