"Harder, Jeannie" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 15:38:13 -0600
Thank-you for such a prompt response. I am sorry I omitted info----I guess I
am too close to the situation.

I want to use the list as an 'index' of the announcements for the day.  When
a subscriber receives the email, he can 'click' on the announcement he
chooses to read.  This requires web archiving---therefore passwords.

I am willing to make the list public.  I do not care who reads it.  I doubt
it will be of interest to anyone outside of our organization.  I cannot
limit access based on IP or service area.  Our folks have to be able to read
this from any ISP.  Privacy is of no concern.

Jeannie Harder

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Parker [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2001 11:46 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Passwords

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 10:54:23 -0600, "Harder, Jeannie"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I am setting up LISTSERV for the first time.  I am creating a moderated
list
>which will function in an announcements
>only capacity.  The audience are the employees in our organization.  Our
>previous listserv software did not require passwords.  I am getting extreme
>resistance to requiring passwords for this new list.

Passwords will be required for List Owners and Site Adminstrators.  They
should
be capable of registering their own password.  Ordinary users usually do not
need passwords at all except to access www message archives of Private
lists, so
it is unlikely you need to do this.  If everyone is at a company or
organization
(where everyone has the same domain email address and/or is on the same
local
network) it is possible to limit access to only come from that realm of
email
addresses and/or IP addresses so that (non-password) access is limited to
the
desired group and any access from outside that group is prevented.

You didn't give enough information on what you are really trying to do.