"Lawrence J. Clark" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 13 Jan 1996 21:45:56 -0600
 Hi, folks, it's me again :),

For those of you who were following my saga over Christmas break, I wasn't
able to pput a welcome file on my list, even after reading the manual
several times.

So far I've passed two hurdles:

1) my address was listed differenty, so listserv wasn't recognizing me as
the listowner--that was fixed

2) my list manager had to put a "fileid" for the files so they would be
recognized by listserv--this has also been done.

Here is what I asked him to do:

"The variation for VM systems is that the LISTSERV maintainer will have to
>create a fileid for the file
>before you can PUT it on the server. Contact the LISTSERV maintainer before
>trying to store your
>WELCOME and/or FAREWELL files."
>
>I THINK this is why listserv is not accepting my commands.  Could you please
>create a "fileid" for a file called "Welcome!" for each of the lists (if
>this is indeed what needs to be done).

After I received word that the fileid's were created, I then sent this
message to listserv via a Eudora mail message, which I copied out of the
listowner manual and inserted my list information::

PUT gatsby-l WELCOME PW=my password

 Subject: Welcome to Gatsby-L!
     Welcome to the Gatsby-L listserv.  This list is open to anyone
interested in sharing ideas about short stories, poetry, novels, and other
forms of literature.  This semester we will be discussing the life and times
of F. Scott Fitzgerald, his novel The Great Gatsby, the Roarin' Twenties,
and more!
     Your list owner is Lawrence J. Clark ([log in to unmask]).

But I got this reply back.

File "GATSBY-L WELCOME" is unknown to LISTSERV, PUT request rejected.

so I resent my message with an exlamation point after Welcome in the command
line, but got this message back:

Invalid character "!" in filetype.

A fe minutes ago I tried sending the original message again, thinking that
maybe it took a while for listserv to recognize the fileid's, but again, I
received this message:

File "GATSBY-L WELCOME" is unknown to LISTSERV, PUT request rejected.

I'm stumped (and more than a bit frustrated).  I know this should be a
simple procedure, but I've wasted several hours of time trying to get it to
work.  Any advice would be DEEPLY appreciated!

Thanks,

Larry
still trying to :)