Patrick Douglas Crispen <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 21 Jun 1995 08:54:46 CDT
Actually, *MY* biggest concern with the Exon amendment is that it is
impossible for most people on the Internet to have any idea when they
are or are not breaking the law.  You could be a long-time poster to
Mr. Edward's UGA Humor list and, as long as there are no children on
the list, you would be well within your rights to post ANY joke you want.
However, the day that ONE child quietly subscribes to HUMOR and reads
your post with the punchline "if you help me find my truck, we'll
DRIVE out," you cease to be a regular poster and, instead, become a
federal felon.

I am also concerned about the fairness of the bill.  If someone walks into
the middle of an elementary school playground and screams "<BLANK> BILL
CINTON!" in front of 1000 children, that someone would be guilty of
extremely bad judgement.  If that same someone posted a letter to the Internet
that said "<BLANK> BILL CLINTON!" and that letter is seen by only ONE
child, that someone is guilty of a federal crime.

And while we are all agreed that the law will be declared unconstitutional,
it won't be declared unconstitutional until the law is examined in a
court case.  Do *you* have enough money to fight a protracted legal battle
with the FBI and the Department of Justice over your right to cuss on
the Internet?