Russ Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:34:52 -0300
This is interesting because perhaps I'm wrong about it . . .

> In the local newspaper, 3 - 4 months ago, there was an item about
> someone offering a new service.  Subscribers would be informed 1) that
> the mail had been delivered, and 2) when the mail was opened.  And
> that is all I know/remember about that.

Had I seen it, I'd have laughed, because my view is that it's always
possible to disable it.

>> Not if it's coming to me, because I invariably disable the
>> function that would acknowledge receipt or opening.
>
> And how do you do that?

Well, in most mail programs I know of there is, somewhere, a toggle
for doing it.  My understanding is that my mail program would have to
_do_ something -- and _send_ something -- in response to a command,
for someone to know I'd received the mail. That should always be
possible, in principle, to disable.  I know there are preferences or
options for setting that in Pegasus Mail, Netscape mail, and our
Communigate Web mail program (and, if I remember right, in Hotmail).
Maybe I'm missing something.

-- Russ

Russell Hunt
Department of English