"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 11 Jul 1995 07:41:00 EDT
>In the past I've suggested to people wanting DIGESTS that they send
>mail to LISTSERV with

>   sub listname Your Name
>   set listname digests

>But with confirmed subscriptions, the "set" command is processed
>"early", resulting in rejection of it.

>On a busy list and with people that don't read their mail 24 hours a
>day, this could lead to a lot of unwanted mail!  I do not want to make
>digests the default, as only 1/3 of subscribers select digests.

Not currently that will give everyone what they want with NO
effort and that provides the bullet-proof subscription dialog.

I have an alternative scenario for list confirmation -- not as
bullet-proof as the magic-cookie technique, but perhaps it
partially addresses a confirm-type processing as well as being
able to piggy-back subscribe/set options ...  make your list's
default NOMAIL and do *not* define CONFIRM subscription (remember
to update your WELCOME file or subscription template with
instuctions to set to mail/digest/index).

Thus:

SUB listname Big Cahuna
SET listname DIGEST

would "work."

--  co-owner INFOSYS, TQM-L, CPARK-L, ERAPPA-L, JANITORS, LDBASE-L, et -L
[log in to unmask]        "I get paid by the Byte"        +1 814 863 1843
31 Shields Bldg. --   Penn State    -- University Park, PA 16802-1202 USA