Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 00:03:51 -0500
On 8/19/2004 7:31 PM, Winship wrote:

> Is there a way for a listowner to check on who is accessing the list
> archives via the web?  How about who is accessing via email?
>
> Is there a way to block web access from a particular site?
>
> The list is private, access is supposed to by allowed only to subscribers
> who have established list passwords, but I suspect there is something else
> going on.
>
> Douglas Winship  [log in to unmask]

The listserv.log file should contain entries showing the IP address from
which the access request originated. Here is an example from our log
file showing a request to access the archives of the TEST-L list. The
log entry has been wrapped to fit in an email message, and some
information in the log entry has been replaced by the string '*****'.

----- begin log extract (wrapped) -----
19 Aug 2004 23:52:13 From [ANONYMOUS]@LISTSERV.ND.EDU:
        X-LOGCK ***** AUTHINFO(12.218.67.84) NOTEBOOK(test-l)
----- end -----

Once you locate this log entry, you should be able to backtrack to find
the log entry showing the address that was used to login. The log entry
has been wrapped to fit in an email message, and some information in the
log entry has been replaced by the string '*****'.

----- begin log extract (wrapped) -----
19 Aug 2004 23:52:12 From [ANONYMOUS]@LISTSERV.ND.EDU:
        X-LOGIN [log in to unmask] 12.218.67.84 PW=*****

Odds are, another subscriber's password has been compromised and is being
used to gain illegitimate access to the list archives.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator