Sun, 14 Mar 1999 21:00:33 -0600
Our policy has long been the author retains copyright and posting to
the list does not abrogate that right.  Posting to the list grants
other subscribers the right to read the material, the right to quote
it in replies to that same list.  It grants the list the right to
distribute the material to subscribers and to store it in the archives,
from which it may be retrieved for reading purposes only.  One printed
copy may be made for personal use only.  Any other use requires permission
from the author.

As to what Rex said about publishers getting a hammerlock on copyrights,
well, the U.S. didn't have to sign the Berne convention, but if we didn't
there would have been little protection for U.S. others.  I will agree
that it does look like "public domain" is a dead issue, ain't gonna
happen.  I don't think it's "right" either, but, what can you do?
You going to talk the governments of all the signatories to go to
the older U.S. concept of limited copyright duration, can be renewed
once?

Douglas