"Diane K. Kovacs" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 26 Aug 2000 18:16:06 -0400
  This is what I do:   I have a personal filter going too.. Anyone
trying to subscribe from one of the free e-mail sites or from AOL
with a username which is very different from  their actual name (as
given) or anyone trying to get on without a name.. gets the following
message.

DOROTHYL Verification
Bcc:
Dear  ,
We are scanning DOROTHYL for people who's names do not match their
user id's and are using commercial ISPs, etc. in order to try to
prevent problems we've had in the past with flaming, spamming,
spoofing, etc.  from such addresses.   My apologies if this is all
just coincidence.  However, we need to verify that you are a real
person.  Your geographical location..city, country etc. would be
helpful and we need to know why you want to join DOROTHYL.

Cordially,
Diane
aka Harriet Vane
DOROTHYL Founder

They must reply to be added.   If they are willing to reply then I
guess they are okay... if they aren't then they don't get added.
Once in all the time I've done this...two years now....I've had
someone spazz about answering and I think she/he was our returning
troll. 8(.   In one instance on our list the troll was also guilty of
stalking a famous author who in consultation with us called the FBI
into the case.  The stalker/troll ceased after a call from the FBI
but we do not want her back on.  It has worked so far...also this
keeps off the spammers fairly well.   E-mail me privately and I'll
share some of the addresses that set me off.
Cordially,
Diane

>Does anyone have any suggestions about how to discourage and detect banned
>ex-list members from returning with a fake identity? I have already set
>subscription=  By owner,confirm but there is no easy way to detect a
>determined
>troublemaker from what I can tell. Does anyone have any experience with the
>legal aspects of this problem?
>--
>Walter Potter

Diane K. Kovacs - Kovacs Consulting Internet & World Wide Web Training
http://www.kovacs.com
_Building Electronic Library Collections: The Essential Guide to
Selection Criteria and Core Subject Collections_ (2000) Neal-Schuman
Publishers http://www.neal-schuman.com