Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 15 Mar 1994 14:25:39 +0100
As far  as I  can see (after  reading the logs),  Aldo's problem  is that
there are  a number of  .COM subscribers  from companies related  to fish
ecology (some non-profit,  some for-profit). They sign up and  get a copy
of the guidelines. They see that  Aldo asked everyone to return some info
about himself and  created a "Who's who" file with  hundreds of names and
descriptions - a file that is  specifically not to be used for commercial
purposes. They grab a copy of the file, post a commercial announcement to
the  list, and  start  using  the "Who's  who"  for  their own  purposes.
Unfortunately these  are not isolated  cases. Surprising as it  may seem,
there appear  to be dozens of  smallish businesses making money  off fish
ecology information. Talking a small company that has nothing to lose and
whose two  employees want a paycheck  next month into behaving  is a lost
fight. So you  kick them off the list, but  they'll keep pestering people
with the "Who's who"  data. I don't think Aldo can do  much about it. The
only working  course of  action I  can think of  is to  sue one  of these
little  companies into  bankruptcy, and  then mention  that event  in the
welcome message. Not very friendly, but  I'm afraid that's the only thing
that would keep them from abusing the list.

  Eric