Marty Hoag <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 21:54:01 -0600
   With LISTSERV 1.8d you can delete any text you want, including mail
with attachments, by using the provided "POST_FILTER" exit.  L-Soft even
supplies a sample exit (postfilter.rexx).  We run on NT Server and had to
wait until we upgraded to 4.0 for the exit to work.  We recently did that
and modified the sample to not only filter out Happy99 and other uuencoded
files in the body but also to block mime types other than plain text.

   We announced it to our list owners last week and invited them to test
it and a few did.  With all the publicity about opportunisitic Y2K viruses
I expected a lot of interest but so far had only one person who wanted it
added right away (so far).

   For more information your LISTSERV service provider should reference
the Developer's Guide (http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8d/devindex.html).
Because of copyright and liability issues I don't plan to distribute my
copy of the exit but it takes only minimal changes to do about anything
you want as the interface is fairly simple.

   However, if you'd like to try sending one or two tests to the test list
here you can do that.  You CANNOT subscribe but you send the test to
[log in to unmask] .  Obviously I'd prefer you NOT send live
viruses or anything malicious but the list is closed and has a size limit
of 2,000 lines.  You will receive either an acknowledgement or an error
message (if the text is rejected).  If you get an unexpected result please
forward the message and an explanation to me (but PLEASE, ONLY do that if
it is something you feel was not handled correctly by the exit, NOT for
every test as I can monitor those).

   Marty