Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 6 May 1999 19:51:52 -0400
> We would only subscribe the team members to the list.  We'd like the mail
> coming to [log in to unmask] to go to the list.  We also would like replies
> we send to go the original non-subscriber sender AND to the other team
> members.  We also want a FROM: of [log in to unmask]
>
> Can LISTSERV do these things together?  From reading the online manuals
> today, the Reply-To seemed to be an either/or set to List or Sender not
> both, and CC: seemed to be in templates and not the usual traffic.

There is a Reply-to=Both option in the 1.8d documentation.  I've never used
it myself.

I recommend using IETFhdr for lists like yours.  It preserves the original
To and cc headers of the message, making it much easier to reply to both
the sender and the list.  Just use the Reply All function that most mail
clients have.

LISTSERV won't change the From header for you, but POP and IMAP clients
generally allow you to set whatever From address you want.  We don't try
to hide our identity on our support lists, but our user community is
different from yours.

In the past I have used the Sender keyword in the header of a dummy list
to fool LISTSERV 1.8c about the origin of an OK command (there's no longer
a need with 1.8d).  I haven't tried it to see what effect it would have on
posts to a list.  It probably wouldn't work with IETFhdr anyway.

Roger Fajman
Division of Network Systems & Telecommunications, CIT
National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Internet: [log in to unmask]    Telephone: +1 301 402 4265
Postmaster: CU.NIH.GOV, LIST.NIH.GOV, MAILFWD.NIH.GOV, PACKET.NET.NIH.GOV