Brian Fisk <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 03:44:11 -0500
Greetings,

I have noticed some annoying behavior in Linux Listserv 1.8c on
netspace.org with the From and To addresses that appear in digest
distributions. Specifically, digest distributions seem to ignore the
List-Address= keyword which doesn't seem quite right.

First some background info: netspace.org has a number of different DNS
aliases, such as archive.phish.net. Let's say I have a new list called
[log in to unmask], and I'd like the list to appear to be coming
from there, even though Listserv (correctly) thinks that it's running on
netspace.org.  So I changed the List-Address= keyword (to
[log in to unmask]) and played around with the MAILTPL file, and
in general it works fine. Individual postings to the list appear to come
from archive.phish.net.

However, the digest distribution headers look like this:

Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 16:00:01 -0500
From: Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>
To: Recipients of NEWLIST digests <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: NEWLIST Digest - 3 Nov 1997 to 5 Nov 1997

Notice that the From and To addresses are netspace.org. It seems to be
ignoring the List-Address keyword, which seems odd. This is a bummer since
new subscribers will be digestified by default.

As a side note, it would also be nice if Listserv could respond from the
same hostname as the original message was sent to, but I can see why this
functionality might not be present.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

-Brian

-- Brian Fisk * [log in to unmask] * http://www.netspace.org/users/bfisk --