"Kevin J. Sinclair" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 07:57:49 -0700
I vote *against* this feature.  We have not seen a need for it.  I am
involved in about 10 lists now, and do not see a need for it, unless I am
misunderstanding the discussion.

Occassionally a person has more than address.  They are not always aware
of it, which complicates things a little at first; but we just sub each
one of them, so they can post from each one; and then we set all but 1 of
them to nomail, so they get only 1 copy of the postings.  It works just fine.

We have a couple of people that wanted 2 copies of the postings - regular
mail on one account, and a digest subscription on the other.  Also works.

Since the persons name is on each of the addresses, we can use the 'scan'
command to find all their subscriptions even if they forget them, so
unsubbing works also just fine.

We also occassionally take a single email address, and give it 2
subscriptions - 1 for regular mail, and 1 for digest.  You can do that,
with a single address, by doing one in lower case and one in upper case.
Many of my co-owners on my lists do that, so they can keep tabs on
things, see the digest header that we have, and so on.

So from my point of view, it is very flexible now and I like things
exactly as they are.  The only case I can see that is missed is on really
large lists, when the owner does not have the time to setup the multiple
sub's and set all but 1 to nomail; but there seems to me to be too
much potential confusion when you change it, especially with new owners
in the future.  It sounds to me like it will complicate things when a new
owner is trying to diagnose an addressing problem and you have it working
some of the time and not others... what a headache.  So I prefer to keep
things as they are - clearly defined, and very flexible.

Kevin

Kevin J. Sinclair, email [log in to unmask], USA Pacific timezone = -8 GMT