Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 4 Jan 1996 16:44:29 EST
On Thu, 4 Jan 1996 15:30:36 -0500 David W. James said:
>Is this kind of thing a known problem?  This isn't the first time I've heard
>this complaint, but now it has reached a number where I don't think that it is
>just misobservation.  The past complaints have been questions like "I just saw
>a response to a message I didn't see in a digest..." type things that were hard
>to track.  This one at least has some objective measure.

The problem with a truncated digest is something else entirely.  If people
aren't receiving the whole digest, the most common reason is that a gateway
somewhere is truncating it at 1000 or 1500 lines.  For this reason, if you
have a list that generates large daily digests, you might want to experiment
with setting the Size(nnn) parameter of the Digest= keyword to a value like
1000 or 1500.  Pros:  It makes the digest smaller and more likely to get
through a brain-damaged gateway.  Cons:  The more traffic you have, the
more digests get cut during the day.  I have WIN95-L set to cut a "special
issue" every 1000 or 1500 lines (can't remember which) and it puts out
6-8 digests/day.

Nathan